Daily Exercise Log August 2026

Welcome to August 2026. The weather is hot, as we approach the Fall Season.

Links to prior 2026 months in June version.

The 6 day cycle: 1) Weights A, 2)walk, 3)row, 4)Weights B, 5)walk, 6)row. Then, do it again.

The 12 cycle cycle: repeat the 6 day cycle 12 times. Then, a deload - no weights. Then, do it again.

August 2026: the real summary

You essentially completed 8 six-day cycles = 48 days of the program? No—that's the planning structure, not August's calendar. In August itself, you logged 31 straight days, with the month ending on a recovery walk.

The actual sequence was remarkably consistent:

walk → row → weights A → walk → row → weights B → repeat, with the calendar simply catching different points in the cycle. The month ended with cycle 8, Day 5, followed by the planned deload. (Hobby Treat)

The important part: you didn't merely survive it

The weights program got better during August.

At the beginning:

  • A was becoming efficient and technically smoother.

  • On Aug. 3, the cable chest press finally behaved and you blew through the workout. You also concluded the tracker regarded your training as balanced between strength and endurance and that you had room to increase weight. (Hobby Treat)

  • By Aug. 6, the "lighter" B workout was feeling sufficiently easy that you were identifying exercises that needed more weight. (Hobby Treat)

Then the program evolved:

  • Aug. 18: adding a plate to 04_ made a BIG difference; 08_ was introduced.

  • Aug. 21: you hit the boundary—04_ became too heavy on the final reps, with balance breaking down.

  • Aug. 24: the new exercises were producing useful muscular feedback rather than simply aggravating things.

  • Aug. 27: A was 46 minutes, 02_ form was excellent, 08_ was approaching proper form, and the left shoulder/lower back/knee all felt "used, not sore." Then the immortal conclusion: "Form works. winning." (Hobby Treat)

That's a pretty clear progression from figuring out the machinery → establishing the routine → increasing load → discovering the limits.

The other big story: accumulated fatigue finally became undeniable

This is where the last few days matter.

On Aug. 22 you explicitly listed the accumulating complaints:

left foot, left knee, left shoulder, left lower back.

And you were already questioning the arbitrary 12-cycle plan. (Hobby Treat)

Then:

  • Aug. 23: stiff, tired, slow; rowing took ~15 minutes to feel like a warmup.

  • Aug. 25: terrible sleep, awake at 4 AM, and you knew within 10 steps that you were toast. You deliberately did one slow lap.

  • Aug. 26: you declared cycle 7 finished and said, essentially, rest before I regret not resting.

  • Aug. 27: started cycle 8.

  • Aug. 30: B workout was performed while tired, and the 04_ Pallof Press at four plates was making the left lower back unhappy. You said you'd probably reduce it next cycle.

  • Aug. 31: light rain, 64°F, recovery walk. You got exactly the walk you wanted, while acknowledging that your body was responding like an old guy. (Hobby Treat)

So the deload decision wasn't theoretical anymore.

You found the point where the marginal benefit of another cycle was starting to lose the fight against accumulated fatigue.

And I think this is the most important finding

You originally designed the program around 12 cycles, but there wasn't really a physiological reason for 12. You said so yourself on Aug. 22: it was simply an arbitrary number.

By Aug. 25, you and I had converged on 8 cycles.

And by Aug. 30, the evidence was getting pretty damn good that 8 was the better number for you. (Hobby Treat)

That's useful data from the experiment.

Not:

"I'm old, therefore I need to exercise less."

More like:

"Eight cycles gives me enough training stimulus before accumulated fatigue starts degrading the quality of the work."

That's much more useful.

The recovery work was not filler

One thing that really stands out reading the entire month is how consistently you discovered that the walking and rowing actually make you feel better.

The Aug. 17 entry says it almost explicitly: longevity is nice, but the immediate payoff is wanting to feel "not old, not ground into the dust, not sore—better." You called that the daily drug that keeps you engaged. (Hobby Treat)

And Aug. 29 is a nice bookend: stiff going into the row, and the rowing motion helped enormously. (Hobby Treat)

So the recovery days aren't merely protecting the weight workouts.

They're part of the thing that makes the whole system sustainable.

My August verdict

You built a workable training system.

Not a perfect one. Not an optimized one. A workable one.

You demonstrated:

  • Exceptional consistency: every day of August.

  • Strength progression: loads and/or exercises advanced.

  • Better technique: especially toward the end.

  • Good self-monitoring: you noticed when "hard" became "too heavy."

  • Useful recovery: walks and rows repeatedly restored rather than depleted you.

  • A sensible stopping point: you didn't wait for something to actually break.

And perhaps the best evidence is the last three days:

Aug. 29: stiff → row → feels much better.
Aug. 30: tired → B workout → identify a load that's now too much for the lower back.
Aug. 31: recovery walk → done.

That's not failure of the program.

That's the program telling you it's time to deload.

And yes: now I've actually read the whole August 31 version. 😄 (Hobby Treat)

August 31, 2026

Day 5, walk


Day 5, walk, is a recovery day. Today, light rain and 64 degF. Wonderful. I got the walk that I wanted. My body's responding like I'm old. Not the best outcome, but it is done.

August 30, 2026

Day 4, weights B




Day 4, weights B, is the lighter of the A/B split. Other than I felt tired, from start w/ 5 min row, to finish. I'm used ...

Glove turned tracker off somewhere around 06_. I wasn't done yet. A few cycles back I went from 3 to 4 plates on 04_Pallof Press. My left lower back isn't taking it well. I may reduce the weight next cycle.

Note that this is the second weights session of this cycle, nearing the end of cycle 8. Next cycle, deload! Let's see how little I can do then.

August 29, 2026

Day 3, row

Day 3, row, is both recovery and prep for weights a and b. Feeling rather stiff, and this helps greatly.

August 28, 2026

Day 2, walk


Day 2, walk, is a recovery day. Maybe I should start to refer to it as a discovery day. Like how much gas in the tank? did I start / stop the tracker? kinda discovery.

I started out wanting to walk up the Paul Road incline to Chili Ave. Did ok, now what? do the back loop from Chili Ave back to Paul Road, and took the shortest route back home. My brains wanted me to go further, my body reminded me this is a recovery day. Body / mind connection and all.

Tracker turn off operator error. As for the tracker data, 1.65mi 27min 97hrAvg 35PAI +0

August 27, 2026

Day 1, weights A


Day 1, weights, is the heavier of the A/B split, as well as Day 1 of cycle 8. Then, deload.

Duration was 46 minutes, which is a tad long. Old and lazy, maybe. 5 minutes warmup on the rower. Started the tracker then. 02_ form was excellent. I'm surprised. 08_ is getting to proper form. Start to run the cable pulleys up higher. I feel excellent. Both lower back left and left shoulder lit up a bit, but just feel used, not sore. even my left knee was a happy camper. Form works. winning. 

August 26, 2026

Day 6, row


Day 6, row, is a recovery day. It's also the last day of cycle 7 of twelve. I also think cycle 8 will be the last of this 12 cycle exercise session. Tomorrow starts a deload cycle. Better to rest before I regret not doing that.

Do the 40 rower minutes, stretch out, do 2x20 bench crunches. 

August 25, 2026

Day 5, walk


Day 5, walk, is a recovery day. And today, it was needed. Awake at 4am. Wide awake. So, I got up. Early walk, thinking I'd no idea what I'd do. Took 10 steps outside, and knew I was toast. So, short, real slow, once around the block.

chatGPT and I were discussing my exercise cycle (12 x 6 day cycle), and I believe we both came to the conclusion that 12 was too long, and try 8. Wilco - one more cycle, and 8 is done. Then, deload.

August 24, 2026

Day 4, weights B




Day 4, weights B, is the lighter side of the A/B split. Started the tracker sometime early in the 5 min warmup row.

All went well. I tried 08_ w/ 2 plates, and decided against it. 1 was enuf.

Not sure yet about when the next deload will be. I feel better than yesterday, right now. Things happen, tho ... (in edit, about 3 hours later) All in all, I feel good. My left foot is less annoying than usual, my left lower back lit up when I did the 04_ and 08 exercises. Felt good afterwards too. My left shoulder was ok with everything. So, 1) I think these 2 newish exercises caused the left side issue and 2) dunno about deload then.

August 23, 2026

Day 3, row


Day 3, row, is a recovery day. It took about 15 minutes to even think I'd warmed up. Was a constant load of "old, tired, slow - row harder!" and it didn't work great. The mechanical stretch & flex on the rower felt way too useful. Not exactly sure how come, but I didn't bring my best self to the gym.

I went anyway.

The tracker and I seem to be having relationship issues. I forget to put it on (adjust dressing habits), forget to start it before exercise (no known fix), forget to turn it off post exercise (op cit). I entered the world of work trackers w/ a Cateye 8 on my trail bike. It started when I did, and stopped when I did. Now, 20 years later, not the same.

August 22, 2026

Day 2, walk


Day 2, walk, is a recovery day from the A side of Weights A/B.

Goal for today was to walk on the new sidewalk, just poured a few days past, where I cross Paul Rd. to start the uphill to Chili Ave. I live the thrill life. It was a good walk, except for starting the tracker a bit late. 10PAI points isn't shabby.

I am noticing that the little aches and annoyances are accumulating recently. Left foot, left knee, left shoulder, left lower back. If only I had a clue ... I do note that I'm in cycle 7 of twelve before a week off - sorry, a deload cycle. The 12 was an arbitrary number picked for the length of this program. It's 10 weeks. I've seen 6, 8, 10, 12, 16 week programs. If I had a reason, other than accumulated fatigue shortening the 12 to 8, i'd pick any of those numbers.


August 21, 2026

Day 1, weights A


Day 1, weights A, is the heavier of the A/B split. It's also day 1 of cycle 7 of twelve.

All was mostly OK before. During, I could feel the work draining energy. That's not good. On 04_, I was doing fine until the last 2 reps of the last set. Didn't maintain my balance, which is annoying. All at once, 'too heavy'. F that. did 2 more reps.

08_ was seemingly more better in the grove, at almost no weight. Next time, I'll add a plate.

Duration was 40 minutes, not counting the 5 minute rower warmup. That's only slightly long. It takes about 1.5 minutes per set. Adding another 4x8 flyes takes about 6 minutes. All's OK.

August 20, 2026

Day 6, row


Day 6, row is a recovery day. And, today is the last day of the current 6 day cycle, which is cycle 6 of twelve. Half way to deload, and fantasies of taking a week off...

Do the 40 rower minutes, stretch out, do 2x20 bench crunches. Yes, I am a beast.

August 19, 2026

Day 5, walk


Day 5, walk, is a recovery day. Today was different. Usually I get up, get a cup or two in, get the dog outside, then go to workout. Today, got the dog out early, and went to walk, with the threat of thunderstorms in 20 minutes. Gotta go ...

August 18, 2026

Day 4, weights B



Day 4, weights B, is the lighter of the A/B split. It'll probably get less 'lighter ' over time, as the weight increases. so what?

5 minutes warmup on rower, not included in tracker into. 02_ still needs more work on form. 04_ should move to 4x8, cause that extra plate made a BIG difference. first time for 08_, and I dropped the weight from 2 plates to 1. keep working that form.

duration of the session was 42 min. added 08_ to this session, f'ked around w/ cable positioning. Long handle posn (down by (15)) still fussy.

August 17, 2026

Day 3, row


Day 3, row, is a recovery day from weights A. I did like 41 minutes on the machine, and none of it fast or hard. Then 2x20 bench crunches, because it makes my back feel better. Then completely forgot about the tracker. Sometimes, I wonder.

Exercise has conflicting rewards and benefits. My odds of living longer improve w/ the exercise discipline. Fine. But, I want to feel better - not old, not ground into the dust, not sore - better. And, I do. Consider that as the daily drug to keep me engaged.

August 16, 2026

Day 2, walk


Day 2, walk is a recovery day, and usually one that I need. Other than taking this usual route rather backwards, was a nothing special glorious summer's morning. I liked it.

August 15, 2026

Day 1, weights A


Day 1, weights A, is the start of cycle 6 of 12. Again, I'm looking forwards to the deload. Hey, I'm old.

There were no memorable or realized issues today. The usual left knee / shoulder 'warnings' about joint abuse. 36 minute duration, which is great and which I find remarkable. Unless I skipped sets or something. Counting to 4 is harder than I make it seem.

August 14, 2026

Day 6, row


Day 6 row is part of the recovery pair for the A/B split. Just the rowing motion makes my muscles et al feel better. And, as always, I can play with my form slightly enuf now to tell whether it makes any difference. Move the 'pull to row here' timing, and the speed on the meter changes. cool ...

For the record, I rowed 40 minutes, then did 2x20 bench crunches. The tracker, OTOH, ran on and on

August 13, 2026

Day 5, walk


Day 5, walk, is intended to be a recovery day. Yeah, well. I'm fighting w/ my BG numbers, and a transition to a new insulin type - Toujeo - overnight. Shot was 'too big', so my BG number was lower than I'd prefer.

Regardless, my heart rate expands rapidly if my fuel supply is 'low'. If I sleep BADLY, and am pissed off about that, I drive my legs harder. Good for my cardio, provided I don't stroke out, and for my PAI score.

August 12, 2026

Day 4, weights B



Day 4, weights B, is the lighter side of the A/B split

August 11, 2026

Day 3, row - yeah, no.

Day 3, row, is a recovery day. Unless i have a MD/GP visit. Then, the afternoon 4 store shopping trip is cardio.

August 10, 2026

Day 2, walk


Day 2, walk, is supposed to be a recovery day. Instead, I ate an ice cream treat at 8:40pm, had a modestly high BG at bedtime, shot it, and went to bed. Next day, awoke a little higher. Annoying. Shot 6 units Novolog then, and went for the longest walk in the bag.

I need keep in mind, this is a one time thing. This time, anyway ...

August 9, 2026

Day 1, Weights A



Day 1, weights A, is the heavier of the A/B split. Today is also Day 1 of cycle 5 of 12. I, for one, am looking forward to a deload week.

Started the tracker b/4 5 min warmup row. I'd swear I can count to 8, but 4 seems hard this morning. 

August 8, 2026

Day 6, row


Day 6, row, is a recovery day. This was one of those.

August 7, 2026

Day 5, walk

Day 5, walk, is a recovery day. Needed it. Hips tight, left knee wondering, rest of me's OK. Poor day, humid, hot, cloudy. It'll rain soon.

August 6, 2026

Day 4, weights B



Day 4, weights B, is the lighter side of the A/B split. This side is interesting now.

the set is 'lighter', so, in flight, I tend towards assuming I won't run out of gas, and push faster/harder some. That's all positive, and implies 'go heavier'. Starting to track what feels "too light". Here, both 01_ and 03_ could use more weight. Duration on the setlist paper was 35minutes, which is was good, and didn't include the 5min row warmup.

August 5, 2026

Day 3, row


Day 3, row, is a recovery day, usually. I need that more days than I need to pull harder / faster. So, I do my time, slowly warm and go faster, but not too much. Then 2x20 bench crunches.

August 4, 2026

Day 2, walk


Day 2, walk, is a recovery day, from weights A, the heavier of the A/B split. Today I needed the recovery day, and didn't do anything about the pace. Got this, which is just fine.

Except for the PAI stuff. I'm not getting much juice from the cardio-side of the house. It's seems less easy to drive my heart rate higher. in this town that's called progress, but I dunno.

August 3, 2026

Day 1, weights A



Day 1, weights A, is the heavier of the A/B split. PAI is calc'd continually, independent of my failing to start an exercise session on the tracker. Like it matters ...

Blew thru the set list in close to record duration. Had no issue getting the handles right on 02_ cable chest press. The rest was just straight fwd work. About f'ing time.

My phone's app Zepp and my tracker tell me my training is 'balanced' between endurance and strength training. Useful to know. It tells me I can get heavier. What I want, though, is to do the weights A/B splits until I fill the sheet w/o any big changes. Until then, I'll enjoy feeling better after weights. It's a big deal, to me.

August 2, 2026

Day 6, row


Day 6, row, is a recovery day, which means that I generally figure out how I feel as I get to the gym and get a few minutes in to the row. Need to stretch and relax? Take it easy. Feeling good and pissed off, go for it, Beastie. Just remember, 1) don't hurt yourself, and 2) tomorrow is weights A - don't burn all your fuel. And, then 2x20 bench crunches.

August 1, 2026

Day 5, walk


Day 5, walk, is a recovery day from weights B. It's funny that way, but I started out not thinking that I wanted a recovery day.

Comments

Popular Posts