Next Exercise Program

The prior two rounds of exercise programs - resistance bands, 14 cable and dumbbell exercises - were intended to get me back into exercise, avoid injury, build muscle slowly, and improve my confidence. Mission accomplished.

But, I screwed up in the cable / dumbbell work. First, I went too heavy on some of the exercises, specifically, the pullovers. Second, my ego took over my last two sessions, when I did 43xxx pounds. There was a week between the last two, which was too long to maintain my fitness level. The last set was too heavy, and I did it anyway. It made my shoulders sore, and my head stupid.

Bad things, so I've taken a month off to think it thru. And, to let my shoulders cool off. Know when to press, know when to back off. Lesson learned. Meanwhile, there's this fasting / drug / diet thing going on.

So, this is round three. My goals here:

  1. Minimize "new" exercises
  2. Arrange the exercises to minimize changeover time, and rest time
  3. Do exercises that I like
  4. Allow mostly increased reps for load progression., but, have a few expressly intended to go heavy - seriously heavy.
So, what do we have ...


Rows and presses are married, on the bench, and can only be increased via reps. Exercise round two got to 60 reps. 

Seated facepull is the only "new" exercise. It's intended as a light weight, cool down for the shoulders. The reps can go very high, but probably not the weight. May well change it to 'standing' later.

Cable pull thru is the closest thing to a deadlift you can do without a barbell. Exercise 06_ closes out the set. It can go very heavy, and it is a really good stretching closeout for the set.

Finally, added a way to track the time in the gym. I do not want to spend much more than an hour on this, so that'll keep the reps fast, rest periods short, and increasing volume on weight, not reps.

Now, all I need is to do the work.


Comments

Popular Posts