Experimental Food 20191012 - Gochujang Pork Steaks, Grilled Apples

Getting to this point is something of a quest. I prefer to buy meat without benefit of a butcher. Nothing personal, but it saves me ... something. I've has this prep on my radar for quite some months, but there's been nothing about "boneless pork shoulder" on offer.

And then, Aldi's weekly ad has it: $1.49/lb boneless pork shoulder, while supplies last. Got this $10 monster yesterday, sliced it all into steaks, prepped dinner, and the other 3 portions in the freezer.

The recipe is pretty straight forward. Except ...

The recipe wants dry sake, which we don't stock. So I used a blend of tequila and whiskey. We used Wegmans Gochujang, which isn't as hot as expected. I'm mad love with it, regardless.

The bag of meat covered marinade wasn't too photogenic. Indeed, using tongs, from the bag / drip drain / onto the grill wasn't that pretty, and I was there. Was fun, though.



My usual poor plating job.

But then, the plate was empty and achingly lickable when the food was gone ...













I did the apples on a lark. 'Tis the season.

Slice a 20 ounce apple into 1/4 inch rounds. Remove the core from each slice. Prepare cinnamon and demerara sugar for sprinkling. Melt 2 tbsp Kerrygold.

Brush one side of the apple slices with butter, and put that side down on the grill. Give it a minute or so, brush the top, and flip 'em.

Brush if any butter left, sprinkle with cinnamon sugar, and give it a minute or so. Flip, sprinkle, minute, done.

Comments

Popular Posts