Update on T2 Hobby Progress

Topics: Recorded Fasting Times, Weight Loss, Insulin Use, Longer Term BG numbers

In prior posts I made a big to do about what I believed T2D is, and what I intended to do about mine. My last progress report was September 1. And now, progress report time again.

Fasting first. In simplest form, fasting is what happens when you are not chewing and swallowing - not eating. When you eat, you enter the "fed" state, and humans take 4 - 24 hours to get out of that state. The benefit from fasting comes when you are not "fed", so longer durations of not eating, in theory, work better. Here's a chart of my recent recorded fasting times ...


The last bar is 'incomplete', as it's live, and now at 21.1-ish hours. I'm going for a record today.

My weight has dropped from an ATH of 218 pounds to this morning's 199.5 pounds. I do not track my weight directly. But, my infinite hole belt seems to be getting longer. I'm now on an all time 'smallest belt' size. Good news, that.

Drug use, or rather, non-use is making progress. Of my 3 drug stack at the start, I'm completely off 2, with only Lantus remaining. Lantus started at 80 units per day. The past few weeks chart ...


Now, progress gets complicated. Weight loss can come, for a while, from simple calorie restriction, but the human body compensates for that by lowering the basal metabolic rate. I believe I'm losing weight because I'm out of the fed state more. But, I've no good measure. I'll tell the keto strip story in a future post. Same way, the insulin use decline. Perhaps I'm just eating clean. But, again, I've not found any measure that tells me I need less Lantus per unit "BG control". But, two moving targets.

Finally, my actual BG levels seem to be lower than my long term measures. I cannot do an HbA1c test on demand, but translating between my last set of lab work, and the averages my BG meter shows, the trend is down. Which is good. But the averages my BG meter shows me are trending up. Which isn't good. Perhaps I'll just torture the numbers until they tell me what I want to hear.

Ah, well, the process can take months. Tempus doesn't always fugit.



Comments

Popular Posts