Fasting Update, and Lack of Weight Loss

Over the course of 2018, my weight has dropped from 218 to 205 to 193-196, and it's holding steady there. Same time period, my eating has gone from mostly careless low carb to more disciplined low carb. And, fasting's gone from "what, me fast?" to 19-ish hours per day to over 23-ish hours per day (that includes periods of 40 plus hours). And, my weight loss seems to have stopped.

I'm certain that I've gained muscle mass, and lost fat mass. That may still be happening, as I continue to do patterned program exercises. But, I'd prefer to lose the next 10 pounds tomorrow. The usual phrase is "the last 10 pounds (to goal) are the hardest". My experience is that the next 10 pounds, regardless, are the most difficult.

"The literature" has several things to try to deal with the idea of a weight plateau.


  1. Patience. Yout fat cells have been full for quite some time. As they empty out fat, they back / refill with water. Eventually, they "give up", and you get a "Whoosh".
  2. Change your fasting pattern. Your body gets used to the feed / fast cycle, and tries to settle in there. My cycle is ...

  3. Eat ordinary hours for a few days, along with a higher carb intake. AKA "stop fasting".
  4. Fast for much longer durations, like 3, 4, 5, ... days in a row.
  5. Keep the fasting pattern, but simply eat less. This is another pattern the body can get used to. It responds by lowering TEE (total energy expenditure). In theory, I'll be able to tell.
I'm certain there's more variations on the theme. But, what to do?

As of this moment, I'm inclined to #3. Take a break, think on it for a while, see what happens for a few days. I've got Supper Club and Thanksgiving Day over the next week. Pretty sure I won't starve ...

Comments

Wes said…
You certainly won't starve tomorrow... :-)
rich ruscio said…
I'm certain that is true. My expectation is that the conflict of interests will be fascinating.

Popular Posts