My Potato Hack Story, Conclusion

I apologize for not having any new pix of air fried small potatoes. They all kind of look the same.

Bottom line: I'll do this again in a few months. It greatly improved my insulin sensitivity.

The new things I've tried:
  • The air fryer is an Awesome Device for making roast potatoes. If you're going to try the potato hack, I suggest you buy an air fryer first.
  • Making cookies, spiced nuts, palmiers, chocolate ganache candies, and ganached pretzels is not recommended when on a restricted diet.
Yes, all this stuff has been in my home thru the potato experience ...
  • The first 2x3# bags of golds and reds ran out on Monday, January 21. So, on Sunday, the last 3# bag of gold, and 1.5# bag of reds were boiled. They were mostly all the same size, so in they went. Took 25 minutes. Steamed texture is 'better', boiled is easier.
  • After exhausting the initial 10.5# supply of potatoes, came the question: Continue, or stop? Off to Wegmans to get 3# bag of small reds. Boiled them Monday. My potato supply should exhaust Wednesday, January 23. In for a penny ...
  • But, higher than preferred BG numbers Wednesday morning convinced my to continue with the Tuesday overnight fast. So, no food Wednesday, and Thursday was venison pork meatloaf day!!
  • Plain, malt vinegar sprinkled, malt vinegar and salt sprinkled, malt and white vinegars as a per bite dip are all excellent choices. I liked the mixed vinegar, no added salt, the best. Different flavor profiles. If all you eat is potatoes, the minor differences matter.
On to the metabolic stuff. My experience with fasting served me well.
This makes the potato hack easier - lack of hunger
I know what mild hunger feels like, and I had some of that. But, not much. The quantity of potato per service scaled both for my BG numbers and my hunger. My 'thru the day' BG numbers ran somewhat higher during the hack. The overwhelming majority of the time, my BG numbers and I felt perfectly fine.

I nominally started on Saturday, January 19th. That day we also had my Grandson's first birthday party. I had carbs in quantity. So much for "JUST potatoes, water, coffee, tea". It usually takes a few days for my metabolic numbers to return to homeostasis. In addition, we had goodie trays to make. Gotta taste ...

Regardless, my insulin sensitivity measure BG overnight drop per unit Lantus set records. I am pretty much convinced that happens because "JUST potatoes" is a zero fat diet. So, no carbs, no fat ... implications.

The insulin sensitivity continued thru this writing (Friday am), but again, on Thursday, I was in the 36th hour of a fast when the sample was measured. So, while I believe it was due to potatoes, it isn't conclusive.

My weight was 187.2 pounds Saturday morning, and today, 184.8. Not bad, but not much different than "my usual" .4 - .5 pound per day rate. Interpreting all the other numbers implies the hack had no discernable impact. Recalling my discipline during the hack, I am certainly not surprised by that result.

My plans going forward:
  • back to fasting / feeding disciplines per usual; 
  • try the potato hack again over the next few months; 
  • eat more protein, fewer carbs, and fat to satiety; 
  • maintain exercise patterns; 
  • learn how to get formulas to operate on ranges in tables in Excel.







Comments

Popular Posts