Goals and Reality Collide with "The Plan" for Weight Loss

When all this started, I had 2 numerical goals. I wanted my weight to be 170 pounds, and I wanted my body fat % to be 15%. My reasons were metabolic improvement, and weren't based on anything 'mathy'. So, I did what I did, and have what I've achieved, and I am profoundly grateful for all that.

So, the Management ButtHole who lives in my head says, "Great news !! Congratulations !! Lovin' it all !! Real proud of you !! By the way, how are you doing against the 170 pound / 15% goals ??"

So, the I_Have_No_Idea person who has to do the work says "Thanks !! Great questions !! I'll get back to you PDQ with my analysis of the data so far."

(much back of envelope scratching (well, Excel scratching) later) ...

So, Boss, here's the report. If things continue as they're going ...

If I continue to lose body fat %, down to the 15% target, per pound of weight loss, I'll need to lose 40.4 more pounds, leaving me at 138.8 pounds. IIRC, I left college at about 145 pounds. That is estimated to take another 121.9 days.

If I continue to lose weight, down to the 170 pound target, I'll wind up at 22% body fat. That is estimated to take another 27.7 days.

Never report back to your Boss that you have "a Problem" without communicating possible alternatives, AND recommending an alternative plan. Pro tip: It's OK to HAVE a Problem. It is NOT OK to BE the Problem. Jus' sayin'.

Possible alternatives:

  1. Impose an"end date" (which becomes a new goal). Given no process changes, the weight and body fat % fall out from that.
  2. Keep one of the two numeric goals, and work towards it.
  3. Postpone any goal or process changes until "later", like 27.7 days from now, and see what progress happens.
  4. Keep both original goals, and figure out how to burn fat faster.

I'm interested in #4. #1 and #2 are both failure modes, and #3 is just waiting to fail.

Now, what the heck to do differently, that's the question ...


Comments

Popular Posts