Hitting the Kind of Tabata Rowing Machine, Exercise Log 20190217

For some time now, the thought has been bouncing around my head about why the 4 minute (8 sets of 20 seconds full on and 10 seconds full off) banded resistance exercise cycle is so much more intense than the 36 minute (6 sets of 4 minutes full on and 2 minutes off) water row machine. And, I speculate, I have the answer.

The short cycle / banded resistance Tabata set provides almost all of its work time before my cardiovascular system 'catches up'. Most of the hardest intensity comes pretty quick. Then a brief rest, and then BAM do it again. The long cycle / water row Tabata set only has a brief high intensity set, and then steady state and tiring old guy duration. Two minutes is a forever rest time. My experience is that I can do 30 strokes per minute thru the first minute, then drop a stroke per minute. My focus wanders too.

What I did today was:

  • 10 minutes warm up (warm up, center, focus, grove form)
  • 6 cycles of {4 minutes full blast and 2 minutes easy row / rest}
  • 1 minute cool down

My timer tells me that's 45 minutes. While wearing earbuds, listening to Metallica Radio on Pandora. Was different, to be sure. Maybe something more lively next time.

So, next time I'll do...

  • 10 minutes warm up (warm up, center, focus, grove form)
  • 5 cycles of {4 sets of {1 minute full blast, 30 seconds easy row / rest}
  • 2 minutes rest after each set
My timer tells me that's 46 minutes of 41 intervals. What ever. If I live, I won't much care. And, vice versa.

And, maybe not give myself a day off after rowing.


Comments

Popular Posts