Oh Please, Rest This Exercise Log 20190328

My aspiration has always been to exercise, reasonably to unreasonably heavy, every other day. My physical reality has been that occasionally, or usually, I need 2 days rest between exercise sessions. When I need that extra day, and don't take it, it always shows up in however I track performance, and sometimes, physically. My best example is an experience called "cement legs", where they just feel heavy and do not want to move. Comes from too many bike miles, inadequate recovery, and my f'ing metabolism. Over training for the body I have.

Today was one of those 'maybe a rest day, but no' days, and the water row meter shows it to me in real time.

What do I watch?
The total time rowing, total distance, strokes per minute, calorie burn rate, watts output.

Between each work set, is a 30 second easy row or rest. Between each cycle is a 2 minute easy row or rest. I took those times to just stop, sit there, sweat, and suck wind. No 'extra' time or distance.

Strokes per minute, 30 target, was an issue to keep it there at the close of each work set. 29, 28 were common, 31, 32 rare.

I pay no attention to the calorie burn rate per se, because I watch the wattage number. Today, I had a hard time keeping wattage well into the 80's, hardly any 90-100's, and way to many 60's.

To my credit, I got home near midnight from the volleyball factory, in bed about 1:30, and up around 7am. And, I didn't get to the machine until about 2pm. Had to wait for lunch to settle (ham 10oz, pickled eggs 3). Let's see how that works thru.

My exercise program is ...

5 cycles of
{
    4 sets of
{
        60 seconds full out (at least 30 strokes per minute)
        30 seconds easy row or rest
}
        2 minutes easy row or rest
}
Easy row or rest until you can stand up without issue.

Next time, it'll be 6 cycles. Or maybe just 3 x 2500 meters, with 2 minutes rest.

Comments

Popular Posts