Close To The Edge, Down By The Water Row 3x2500 Exercise Log 20190502

Hormesis is a biological phenomenon whereby a beneficial effect (improved health, stress tolerance, growth or longevity) results from exposure to low doses of an agent that is otherwise toxic or lethal when given at higher doses.

One such agent is cyanide. When combined, IIRC, in appropriate amounts, with LSD, the blues are really intense. Too much, so sad.

Other more relevant agents are "work", fasting, and exercise.

Work - paid employment - is useful for obvious reasons. Too much is occasionally problematic. Standing up on a platform, about 6 feet off the floor. There are other considerations, though. Not falling off, climbing the ladder up and down there, not getting hit inappropriately by the occasional random serve or shot, paying attention and being judgemental, managing my stress levels when people mouth off, flexing to keep my back from aching. My first training referee, Ray, and I talked last night about how being up on the platform for hours is really hard on our lower backs. Sometimes, two nights in a row is too much.

Simply, fasting is not eating. Working Tue and Wed nights gives me opportunity to easily skip dinner twice a week. Sometimes, life gives me the opportunity to fast consecutive days. Like this week. The last column is 63.17 hours, a new world record for me. While too much fasting is probably bad, the world record is 483 days. So, no worries there. But, it takes practice to go long.

The image on the right is the water row computer, after I completed my 3 x 2500m rowing.

Exercise is a very popular stressor. HIIT, resistance training, more ordinary cardio, are all variants on the theme, with variant effects.

Again, too little is better than none, 2-4 times per week is sufficient for many, and more often is occasionally destructive because the body needs time to recover.

Intensity matters as well. Lifting a 5 pound weight, for most people, isn't intense, where 135 pounds might be damned heavy, indeed dangerous. Joints, muscles, tendons and ligaments can be damaged. You'll have to guess what the exercise named "Skull Crushers" can do to you. 30s/15s Tabata cycles on the water row machine are amazingly tough.

My lap timer shows the 2500m splits, separated by 2 minutes rest. Slightly longer than 3 minute 500m, slightly longer than 15 minute 2500m. For me, not better than usual, but respectable.

Except for one thing: sometimes agents combine, and yield unanticipated results. Before I left for the gym, my BG was 61. Slightly below normal, but way above hypoglycemic for me. During my 5 minute easy row warm up, I actually broke a sweat, which is soon for me. My power output usually peaks at around 6000 meters, and today, more like 4000 meters. Form quality followed my power output curve. Max power was 80 watts, where recently I've been in 90s and up. My gas out power was lower as well. 5 minutes recovery time to stand safely, versus the usual 3.

Sweating like a soaker hose. Got home, was in significant physical distress, and probably got Maripat very concerned. Rightly so, because I was pretty well used up. Wobbles, shaky, quiet, looking like something the cat would not have dragged in. Two nights work, 63 hours fasting, 3x2500m water row add up. The dose makes the poison.

Protein shake, noon time supplements, a nap, a nice chicken / chick peas / guac on spring green salad, and about 2 miles out walking the dog, and I'm no longer brain fried. But, my legs are smoked.

Music was by Metallica, shuffled playlist via Amazon Prime, with ear buds. I did not want to hear the water tub sloshing around.

I'd say I pushed this week about as far as I could. At least, peak stressors, if not a lot more.

Comments

Wes said…
Reader's Digest Condensed Version:

"I learned what it means for me to overdue a good thing."

:-)

All kidding aside, keep up the good work!
rich ruscio said…
Man's got to know his limitations ...

I'm inclined to start to try to add muscle mass while losing fat. Aggressive on protein, a bit more slack in carbs, and pretty much, eating fat don't care.

And, time on the water row machine. Maybe even do my HIIT thing, easy row for 5 minutes, do my heavy pullthrus to failure, and then, do it all again, with the heavy pulldowns. That sounds crazy, but it appeals !!

Popular Posts