Come Round The Bend You Know It's The End The Fireman Screams And The Engine Just Gleams weight lifting Exercise Log 20190520


Back in pre-water row and bike ride days, say August 2018 to February 2019, I used to try to lift weight almost every time I exercised. I'd rest 1 day most times, occasionally 2 days, sometimes 3.

During those good old days, I discovered the joys of Tabata patterns, and the thrill of carrying a 60 pound bag with one arm for a minute, resting 30 seconds, and repeating that 4 total times. Until my eyes wanted to bug out. Good times.

The water row machine became a thing for me in February 2019. It took 2 months before I settled into the pattern of water row Tabata 30s / 15s, and 3 x 2500 m exercise days. And, with those, the days between weight lifting sessions got longer (5 - 8 days apart).

Spring arrived, very slowly, very reluctantly, very wet and very windy. The weather sucked. Eventually, though, some good days arrived, and remembering my lessons from riding last summer, I promised myself that, if the opportunity presented, I'd ride my bikes. It also became clear to me that my metabolic issues improved more with water row and biking, than with weight lifting (and fasting).

And, with all that, while the days between exercise sessions stayed in the 2-4 range, the days between weight lifting sessions moved out to 7-13 days apart.

I had already decided to not keep increasing weight and sets/reps for the purpose of progress. Rather, just maintain my ability to move weight over time, using the goodness box as my guide / indicator.

But, having the weight lifting sessions so far apart risks losing some conditioning, and form mastery. Not to mention my shoulders ...

So far, so good. The numbers: pounds moved 30,305; minutes duration 47; pounds per minute 645.


Moving rate still in the box. The rest periods were notably longer. The reps on fail sets were smallish. May change to DB squats and load them heavier. May increase load on face pulls.

Riding that train, ever onward ...

Comments

Popular Posts