History of My Weight Loss June 2019

Welcome to the July 1 Edition of my weight loss story. Let's get right to it.
June was, to this purpose, a flat month. I'm of the opinion that the easy part of weight loss is in my past. I do not wish to lose much more fat free mass. My body fat % is 23.6%. Getting to 15% requires me to lose about 15.15 pounds of fat, and gain the same amount as fat free mass. The most difficult thing in body composition.

Looking at body fat pounds ...

You don't need much imagination to wonder if fat loss has plateaued.













What's up with that diabetes thing?
BG measures are linearly related to HbA1c. HbA1c is a measure of the beta-N-1-deoxy fructosyl component of hemoglobin. The body produces red blood cells, which get coated with this stuff. Think glazed ham. The chart uses a calculated time weighted value of BG, translated to HbA1c. A "proper length" moving average will show an expected approximated value for my actual blood lab measurement. The yellow box "10.7" is the day I went cold turkey on metformin.

I deliberately adjusted the regression line to show me the overall average of the columns. That helps my eyes see the compare of the 35 day moving average. If and when that red line shows any tilt, I'll adjust it again. My eyes tell me that I'm a very well controlled diabetic, but I have periods of diet non-compliance - yeah, I eat carbs, or have a big dinner late, or misjudge the size of the Lanuts shot, or best of all, all 3.

As for my drug use ...
I press down on my use of Lantus. Which means that my model calculates how much I should inject, and then, I tend to take less than that. Using Lantus (exogenous insulin) tends to cause the pancreas to produce less endogenous insulin. I want that organ back to work. So, I short the exo stuff.

My interest in fat loss is directly related to getting my pancreas back on line. Fatty pancreas is implicated in reduced insulin production. My theory is, de-fat it, and the performance improves. Unless I've killed too many beta cells (the cells that actually make endogenous insulin). If that is so, then I've a life of Lantus use ahead.

So far, I have conflicting lab tests about my pancreas. Next blood work is end of July / first week of August. Hopefully, this lab work will resolve the conflict. Or at least, give me ammo to delicately grill my endocrinologist.

In the effort to reduce fatty liver and pancreas, I've started taking this stuff - Tauroursodeoxycholic Acid 250 mg (TUDCA), mornings. Read about it here and here. Again, looking forward to my next lab work.

Along with the TUDCA, I've increased my morning dose of Alpha Lipoic Acid (ALA) by 50%.

In the effort to replace bad lipids with good, I've changed to a fish oil preferred by people with well respected opinions, gigantic muscles, and expertise in bulking and cutting. Someday I'll write about EPA and DHA. Maybe.

In the effort to increase my muscle mass, I've started taking creatine monohydrate. More info here. Dunno about that fat free mass increase, but I certainly feel stronger and have more endurance. I may need more weight lifting and less cardio stuff.

To discover more exercise targets of opportunity, I took a cardiopulmonary exercise test. My write up is here. I'm awaiting the results, but think I did good.

I'm considering using THC as a substitute for whiskey. If only I had an opportunity to travel to a state that had pot shops with vape pens. Oh look ...

This is overly long already. There's always more to do, and believe it or not, I'm not deep into doing the more esoteric stuff. The need is for diet discipline, exercise consistency, and time to pass.

And, to ride my bike, at each and every available opportunity.

Be well.

Comments

Popular Posts