Progress Report, T2D Hobby

I like to do these progress reports every few weeks, even if it opens me to emo setbacks. A 6 month - 12 month process doesn't make much progress in 2 weeks. But, I find details worth embedding in my head. So, here we are.

Weight: My ATH is 218, my 'this year' low is 191.5, and I seem plateaued at 194-ish. All the more reason why various support groups advise about not trusting the scale, and using NSVs - non-scale values - as progress markers. I continue to use one more hole in my infinite hole belt.

Weight Loss: Once upon a time, I did a blog post on Metabolic Math, discussing fat loss rates, depending on, among lots of stuff, "real fast" time - hours after feeding but also after leaving fed state. Since I have all that data, I can calculate how much weight I should have lost, versus how much real fast time I have. So, for food clearance times of 4 to 12 hours, I should have lost 23.74 to 12.31 pounds. 218 minus 195 is 23. That implies that my math guess work is well inside the ballpark, and gives some motivation to continuing, more consistently, with the apple cider vinegar thing, as well as the 40 plus hour volleyball fast.

Insulin Use: The intent is to get units of Lantus to 0, because, ceteris paribus, less insulin in me is better. I've two measures for Lantus use: units per shot, and overnight BG drop per unit. Some data ...

Lantus Use
The regression line shows the direction of use, and it's clearly down. Yeah me !! The data shows where I have feeding failures, like Sweet 16 Parties !! Boo me. Enter value judgements here about food choices, what others offer, and my discipline. BTW, I cap my usage at 80 units, no matter what. How much Lantus I choose to shoot, is the subject of a yet to be written post. Believe me, I have my reasons, and they involve math.

Overnight BG change per unit Lantus shot
This is my one and only measure of insulin sensitivity. I want this value to go up, in the hope that my poor abused pancreas can carry the whole load. My fear is that it cannot, but we're not there yet. The regression line shows that I am more sensitive to exogenous insulin over time. My opinion is that it has to do with what I've eaten. But, like weight numbers, I will not keep a food log. Winning !!

Comments

Wes said…
In addition to improving your overall health, you are sharpening (or at least maintaining) your excel skills. Have you considered adding in a "seasonality" factor to see if there is correlation with things like parties, weekends, or whatever takes you off of your "normal" state? If nothing else, your excel skills will improve... :-)

Good luck, and keep up the good work!
Wes
rich ruscio said…
Excel and I are becoming more intimate. I learned, for example, that "tables" exist as a useful data object. I'm getting mad good at making charts.

For time correlations, a few things: There is no doubt whatsoever that "social occasions", be they Sweet 16 Parties, or donut payoffs, or nights out at the Dino, are number spikers for me. The Box and Whisker charts show the day of the week where my numbers just suck, and they're weekends.

rr

Popular Posts