OK, Zero Days Rest Isn't 1 or 2 Road Bike Exercise Log 20190421

This is my road bike, a Jamis Quest, with lots of non-original parts. There are other road bikes in the world, but this one is mine. We've been together a long, long time.

The picture was taken last summer, along the Shining Sea Bikeway, with Little Harbor in the background. I take this picture every summer, and intend to get another one in 2019. But, not yet ...

Every year, there's a first time to get the bikes out and going. Today was this bike's turn. I wanted to do some light work, the weather wasn't lethal, and the bike was prepped last week.

Things I wish I'd remembered:

  • It's always colder than it seems. I've got heavier jerseys, and didn't wear them.
  • Fingers go first. I've got full fingered riding gloves, and didn't wear them.
  • Hydration is important. I have so many bottles. And, didn't bring any.
  • Lower two points of contact need to be solid. My shoes need new cleats.
  • Middle point of contact requires protection. I've two types of friction avoidance material, and didn't use either.

But, I got this done ... { Please let me know if the link doesn't work for you. }

  • My average speed (14.5 mph) is a mid-summer number, not a late April number. Conditioning helps.
  • I set 2 PR and 1 3rd fastest times on ride segments. Unheard of. op cit.
  • I barely slowed on the inclines. Weight loss helps, apparently.

All in all, I'm glad I took a short route shakedown. The next distance up is about double, and I'd have been really unhappy.

Maybe tomorrow will be a rest day :-)

Comments

Popular Posts