Far Side of an InBody scan

Way back in time, October 3, 2018 to be precise, I wrote a post named Set and Maintain Expectations (or, Fun with Metabolic Numbers). In there, I made a number of "engineering assumptions" (OK, not So Wild Ass Guesses) about a bunch of numbers, so that I could estimate how long it would take to lose the weight I had in mind to lose. In order to verify those estimates, and track some values, over time, I needed a body composition analysis.

I found a machine that does such, from a company called InBody This is not a consumer product, no way. So, I contacted their sales support, and asked for a local owner of said machine, so I might get to use it. They sent me to ...

Rocwell – Center for Nutrition and Weight Management
853 Ridge Rd
Webster, NY 14580
585-544-3759
info@rocwellweightloss.com

That email address got me to Mike DeBole, who did the work. Highly recommended. Please tell him I sent you.

The results, of interest to the original estimates, of the scan :
  • Percent Body Fat: My original estimate at 200 pounds was 30%. That's 60 pounds of fat. The scan has me at 194.2 pounds and 27.3%, which is 53 pounds. 
  • Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR): My original estimated range or calories required per day was 1900-2500, which included 200-300 calories per exercise session. The scan measured my BMR at 1753 kCal per day.
Good shooting, I'd say, for an amateur. Quick math check ...

If my original estimates for Percent Body Fat were close, sloppy math says I've lost 7 ish pounds of body fat, and gained 2 ish pounds of muscle. I'll take it, as both numbers are in the right direction.

For BMR, lets assume exercise 3x per week, giving me burn of (300 kcal * 3 times/week  / 7 days/week) = 129 kcal per day. Add that to my measured BMR, gives (1753 + 129) = 1882 kCal per day. So, my assumed calorie burn rates were too high, which is rational given the slow weight loss.

When I hit the first weight loss plateau, I started to use myFitnessPal to track weight and feeds. You knew there'd be a chart ...


























The hand drawn line is about 1750-1800. The "Daily Goal: thin red line is my target for the holidays. 40+ hours fasts show up pretty clearly. I'll get the numbers into Excel, but am too cheap to spend $10/mo or $100/yr to upgrade myFitnessPal. Maybe later.

As usual, there's things for me to do:
  • Survive the Holidays, and take in fewer calories daily.
  • Maintain the exercise progression.
  • Use Mike DeBole as a resource, after next scan (2-4 months out)
Thanks for following along. Long strange trip and all ...

Comments

Wes said…
Nicely done. Somewhat surprised that the "fasting" days have calories...but I'm sure that there is a logical explanation...
rich ruscio said…
Coffee has calories. Many "days" when I fast for more than 24 hours start and end within day. I'll look again, see what's what ...

Popular Posts